April 17th, 2007 2 Comments »
I came across this new Wordpress theme called iTheme. It had the magic words in it’s description “Mac like”. Once I’d read those words I had to try it out. It also supports Widgets a customisable side bar. Still playing around with it.
In other news it good to know Navin & Vidya finally have broadband in their house. Navin’s started blogging again - he’s been off line since moving to Hyderabad. Now all that’s remaining is for Vidya to start again
*I’ve always wondered about the saying “Old wine in a new bottle”. Personally I’d choose this over “New wine in an old bottle!”.
April 17th, 2007
2 Comments »
If you haven’t heard the news, the so called “Guardians of our Culture” are at it again claiming to have been offended by Richard Gere giving Shilpa Shetty a kiss at an AIDS awareness rally. What I’d like to know is who appointed them as the cultural police. Why does my culture need defending by these guys? I’m aware of my culture and I don’t need such idiots to defend it. It reminds me of the hysteria when Tamil actress Kushboo made some comments about premarital sex and it was blown out of proportion.
There are far more pressing problems in India. Why don’t crimes against women such as dowry, rape, murder, female infanticide, corruption, etc. evoke this kind of reaction. Aren’t they more of an insult to our culture than two consenting adults kissing in public?
April 10th, 2007 3 Comments »
One of the benefits of travel is it allows me to catch up with reading.
Of late I’ve felt that my old regular authors were becoming stale and were re-hashing their plots. Jeffery Archer, Tom Clancy, Robin Cook, Micheal Crichton are a few names that come to mind. Robert Ludlum continues to haunt from his grave with ghost authors writing in his name. I still read their new books out of loyalty but I no longer get the thrill of a good read.
Instead I’ve been trying out new authors and it’s been rewarding so far. The books that I’ve read in the last few months are
Adept by Robert Finn
Although this book is compared with the DaVinci Code and The Rule of Four, the book is nothing like either of them. However it ’s different and a good read if you don’t mind reading about supernatural powers and mysticism.
Bareback by Kit Whitfield
This book is about werewolves but with a twist: 99.6% of the population turn into werewolves once a month. The remaining 0.4% who don’t are called Barebacks. Barebacks are tolerated since they are needed to run the planet and police werewolf activity during that one day. Warewolves are supposed to lock themselves in a secure room (which every house has) since they loose all normal behavioural controls and are a threat to society.
Barebacks are, however discriminated against. They do not have a choice of professions. Once the reach their teens they are forced to work for the Department for the Ongoing Regulation of Lycanthropic Activity (thanks Vijay for correcting it) which policies Warewolves and investigates any crimes that take place on such nights.
At the core, the book is just a detective novel set is a strange world. It’s well written and an enjoyable read.